City planners are still asking to build a big parking garage in Midtown. It will be up for a City Commission vote this week. Planners are recommending:
- Negotiating for a $24-$30 million, 5-story, 550-car garage at Thomasville/Monroe Point that is not financially viable now; if talks are not successful, re-negotiating for the original $14 million, 5-story, 331-car garage at Thomasville and 5th Avenue
- In addition, identifying and negotiating for other properties along Monroe for more parking garages
- Hiring an outside parking expert
The BHNA whole-heartedly agrees that a thorough professional parking study should be done. But, let’s put the horse BEFORE the cart, not after it!! Until the study is completed and there is an objective analysis of need, costs, traffic circulation and pedestrian impacts, etc., it is premature to negotiate for parking garage property. A significant portion of the need may be met by cheaper, quicker alternative approaches that could help merchants more.
Please join us at City Hall to help us ask the Commission to:
- rescind the large garage RFP
- hire a parking expert, and
- get the facts to the Midtown Working Group to develop solutions that support and advance everyone’s vision of the vibrant district.
You’ll have the opportunity to speak, if you wish. If not, your presence is still important. We’ll be asking people that support the above points to stand in unison.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please tell City Hall what you think.
Email all commissioners at: www.talgov.com/Main/email.aspx?emailto=ccaides
Mayor Dailey @ 891-2000 or his chief of staff Dr. Whitley @t 891-8002
Commissioner Bryant or her aide Ms. Whitaker @ 891-8503
Commissioner Matlow @ 891-8188 or his aide Mr. Ray @ 891-8179
Commissioner Richardson or his aide Mr. Thomas @ 891-8240
Commissioner Williams-Cox @ 891-8667, or aide Dr. Davila-Davis @ 891-8502